Thursday, December 04, 2014

One Hundred Percent Of Success



































Eighty percent of success is showing up. ~Woody Allen


I spent a lot of my early adult years afraid that the other adults, especially older adults with authority, would discover I had no idea what I was doing. 


Now that I'm one of those older adults I know that the younger ones don't know what they're doing, but of course, neither do I. 


I wish someone had told me about this. I wouldn't have wasted so much time trying to get it right. I wouldn't have wasted so much energy trying to hide my ignorance.


I'm no longer ashamed to say that I have no idea what I'm doing.


I have ideas and theories and experiences, but I've found that life is mostly about showing up, exchanging pleasantries with the other people you find there, then getting busy figuring it out with the resources at hand.


Of course, the people who understand this best are young children, especially if they haven't already been made to feel like they don't know enough or that they might be doing it wrong. 


Most of the children at Woodland Park have known no other school than this one: a place where we celebrate doing it wrong, where we thrive on our ignorance, where we count on collaboration with our friends. 


When we find a bunch of junk, there is only one thing to do: unashamedly set to work, with the other people, and figure it out. That's one hundred percent of success.





I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share
-->

No comments: